Great low carb Yorkshire Puddings for traditional UK Sunday dinner. These are a wonderful addition to a low carb diet or a diabetic diet for those who are missing a traditional Sunday dinner.
These are made with Soya flour (Soya beans toasted and then milled into flour). This flour needs a lot of liquid to make it workable.
Carbs per serving: 2.5
To make six Yorkshire puddings in a muffin tray:
- 2/3 cup (40g) Soya Flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 100ml of whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp of sunflower oil
- You can use a muffin baking tin or a Yorkshire pudding tin to make these.
- Heat the oven to 190C
- Pour a small amount of oil (sunflower or vegetable oils are best as they don’t burn or smoke in the oven) in each muffin or pudding tray and heat in the middle of the oven for between 10-15 minutes until really hot. (This is the secret of well-risen Yorkshire Puddings with any flour.)
- While the fat is heating the Yorkshire pudding batter can be mixed.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl using a whisk until fully blended, and leave the mixture to rest until the fat is hot enough for the puddings.
- Give the mixture a final whisk just before pouring into the muffin or Yorkshire pudding tray. It will seem watery but will have thickened a bit by the last whisk.
- Fill the muffin cups or Yorkshire pudding tray three-quarters deep with the mixture. It is a batter mixture and should be fairly runny.
- Bake these in the middle of the oven and don’t open the oven for at least 20 mins after they have gone in or they will fall flat.
- They usually take between 25-35 minutes depending on your oven.
- If you have a fan oven they will cook more quickly. A lot depends on whether you like them golden or more browned and crisp.
These can be served with boiled vegetables, gravy and a range of meats (eg: roast beef, chicken, lamb etc.) They are high in protein and nutrients. Dixies low carb mash potato is a good addition to the meal.
This recipe can also be used to make batter for things like Toad in the Hole, or can even used as a pancake mixture.